Monday 26 February 2007

Crikey! (now, there's a good British word!) - I've been tagged!

Well, I am astounded to find, on reading one of my favourite blogs today, that I have been challenged to write down five reasons why I blog! Can I think of five?? Well, I'll have a go...

1. It's all my husband's fault (yes, you have been tagged now). (AS to it being his fault, isn't it always?? I could use that line so often...). He's a techie when it comes to the Internet, a blogosphere junkie, and he was driving me mad. He'd started a blog. I hated it. I thought it meant that somehow he couldn't communicate with me in the real world, so he had to write it all down and share his thoughts with a bunch of strangers. Weird (I thought). Then he wrote a few posts. They shared things with friends and family that otherwise would have been lost in his own thoughts. I sort-of got it. A bit. So, I thought I might give a try...

2. I read some of the blogs that linked to his. They were interesting! It was fun reading about friends and colleagues that wrote some great blogs. Maybe this was a good way to keep in touch, I thought. We were about to start IVF. What a good way to share all that stuff with my friends and family, and not bore them to death over the phone...

3. Well, of course, then it got interesting! People started visiting my blog, my confidence grew and I realised what an interesting social medium it is. Suddenly it didn't seem like it was for computer geeks! I had truly never once thought that anyone I don't know would read it! So that encouraged me to keep blogging.

4. It became quite therapeutic, and I got this great feeling from finding blogs like one plus two, posybunny, full plate, the Ravin' Picture Maven, and The Silent I (yes, unless you already have been, consider yourself tagged guys!!) How great to read other people's blogs, and find such synergy! That was the real clincher...

5. And finally, the cliche. Where else can you reach out across the world like this? share issues that matter, hear other people's views and thoughts and dreams, both in your family and friends circle, but also in places you will probably never visit or have the opportunity to see? To "meet" people who I will never meet in person? To get the chance, through other's eyes, to grow and develop your knowledge and experience of really important issues, like racism, religion, childcare, parenting, love, friendship, struggles - in such an open and honest way? To laugh out loud at the humour (some of you are so funny and clever in your writing!)

Well, I found more than five reasons, much to my surprise! Most of all, it has taught me, as life often does, to stop being so threatened by "new" things, to get out there and try it, and open my eyes to new experiences and mediums, rather than sit entrenched in my "it worries me! I don't like it!" corner.

I am of course, not admitting my husband was right... Not publicly, anyway...

4 comments:

Julie Pippert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Pippert said...

Hi Rachel, I pulled out those posts. It was easy...knew just where they were!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

That should hopefully do it!

LOL Thanks for the tag!

I think of Aussies when I hear Crikey. ;)

My husband is also responsible for my blog.

Now I need to think...and not just say, "Oh go see what Rachel said!"

Thanks for the tag and interesting post!

P.S. Your husband's comment below rocked!

P.P.S. Out of everything about IF, the thing I ended up hating most was the question, "So, whose fault is it?"

Rachel Briggs said...

You're right about the comment "whose fault is it?". People express out loud the fact that my husband and I have both had a child with our exes. As if, somehow, in our two previously unhappy marriages we were still more compatible with our exes than with each other. That hurts.

Also related to your comment when infertility strikes and you already have a child. I have lost count of the times people have commented on how lucky I am to have my son and stepdaughter, completely missing the point that I know how lucky I am but imagine how wonderful it would be to have a child with the love of my life?? We may have children with our exes, and we are eternally grateful for those blessings, but it doesn't take away the ache of wanting to have a baby of our own together...

I enjoyed reading your story, what a rollercoaster! I am so glad it all worked out so well for you, I was exhausted after I'd read it all with all that emotion!!

I am 2 days away from the hpt, and feeling very nervous. No signs of anything yet, except this unshakeable fear that the embryos dropped out (two small brown spots, identical in size and shape, 3 days apart) which I drive myself crazy with!!

Everything is crossed! Thanks for your support!

(My husband will like that oyu commented on his comment!)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rachel...Thank you for including me as one of your favorite blogs. I feel so honored. And thanks for doing the meme! Isn't it always the husband's fault anyway?