Thursday 1 February 2007

Injections and a Public Apology

Today is the day!

the IVF Injections start tonight... I am not looking forward to it, but I would have to be a particularly strange human being to feel anything but trepidation. My father is diabetic, and reminds me constantly how often he has to do it. I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's MY big deal!! My husband asked if I needed him to do the actual needle bit. (For those of you who know my husband, you will know what this means...) I never thought another person asking if they could stick a needle in you was a sign of love until now...

On to other things. Did you catch up with the news about Silvio Burlusconi, the 70-year old former Prime Minister of Italy?

"Dear Editor," began a letter published Wednesday on the front page of La Repubblica, the newspaper that Silvio Berlusconi hates most. The scalding letter demanded a public apology from Berlusconi — and it was signed by his wife!

It turns out that that Burlusconi attended an awards ceremony last week and was overly friendly with two young and beautiful guests. "If I weren't already married, I would marry you right now," he reportedly told one. And another: "With you I would go anywhere."
"These are statements I consider damaging to my dignity," wrote Veronica Berlusconi, 50, who has been with Berlusconi for 27 years. She said his remarks could not be "reduced to jokes."

"To my husband and to the public man, I therefore ask for a public apology, not having received one privately. In the course of our relationship I have sought to avoid conjugal conflict even when his behaviour has created reasons for it. This line of conduct has one sole limit, my dignity as a woman, and for the example I have to give to our children who are different in ages and sex. Today, for my daughters who are already adults, the example of a woman capable of defending her dignity in her relationships with men assumes a particular importance. The defence of my dignity as a woman will also help my son never to forget respect for women, so that he can have a healthy and balanced relationship with them."

Then in the early evening, Berlusconi wrote his own public letter:

"Your dignity does not matter: I will guard it like a precious material in my heart even when thoughtless jokes come out of my mouth," he wrote. "But marriage proposals, no, believe me, I have never made one to anyone. "Forgive me, however, I beg of you, and take this public testimony of private pride that submits to your anger as an act of love. One among many. A huge kiss. Silvio."

so, what do you think?? A huge victory for women's rights? A win-win for them both?? But does his "humble"apology atone for his past actions? My husband and I were discussing this last night, and thought it was an interesting debate - I am glad to say my husband thought Ms Burlusconi's actions were terrific - imagine forcing your husband into such a public apology! Result!!

so, to women's (especially wives') rights and injections - bring it on!!


1 comment:

Alex Briggs said...

Please only allow women to read that I agreed that his wife's actions were terrific, would not want some of our male friends to know that you have turned me into a softie your loving husband