Tuesday 6 February 2007

If there were just 100 people in the world...


On Sunday night, my husband, son and I were sitting down to dinner. We were asking my son, who is 7, how many people, as a %, did he think there were in the world lucky enough to sit down to the sort of meal we were having? He said 75%! We got into discussing all sorts of ways we're privileged, and I thought it would interesting to find out some facts...

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, there would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans
52 would be female 48 would be male

70 would be non-white 30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian 30 would be Christian

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would have a college education

1 would own a computer

  • If you woke up this morning with more health than illness... you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

  • If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

  • If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ... you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

  • If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ... you are richer than 75% of this world.

  • If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

Kinda makes you think, huh? Talk about "challenges"...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post! Very thought-provoking and sobering.

Rachel Briggs said...

Hi Glennia,

Thank you so much for commenting, you're the first to do that apart from my family!

I love reading your blog, we have a lot in common, we are globe-trotters too, and drag our kids all around the world!

Keep up the great writing!

Deanna Heaslet said...

I came here to look at your blog after you commented at mine...I really appreciate this post. I am going to read it every day.

Rachel Briggs said...

Hi Posybunny,

Thanks for your kind words - enjoy reading your blog, which I have only just discovered, as I am VERY new to this! Thanks for commenting, very exciting, and only my second comment ever apart from my family humouring me!!!

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

Glennia, we are indeed a privileged people and we truly need to learn to be a more thankful and a "giving to others" kind of people to find real fulfillment. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Hi, found you on TheGoodBlogs. These two statistics really shocked me:

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

Wow. Very interesting post.

Rachel Briggs said...

robyn mcmaster

Thanks for commenting. You're right, my biggest challenge is how to communicate that to my 7 year old son and step-daughter without giving them the world as a "burden".

Elizabeth

Thanks for your comments - I know, I found these statistcs mind-boggling when you see then broken down!

Anonymous said...

Yipes. Just showed this to my 10 year old son. Helped build a sense of perspective - really good. Thnx

Rachel Briggs said...

Thanks, Pete - it hit my son pretty hard too.

Chris Brown said...

I love this too. It reminds me of the awesome powerpoint made with these words that I saw on Garr Reynold's Presentation Zen blog, it's on www.miniature-Earth.com. You pick your language and watch the story unfold. See what you think.

Chris

Bones said...

only one person would have a computer? who would read my blog? Man, i'd never get any comments!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.