Thursday 1 March 2007

Super Star!



I cannot quite take it in!


This has been the hardest wait of my life, and the most emotional. This morning, the whole IVF process culminated in one small word.

Pregnant.

sorry, I mean one big word! PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will remember this morning for ever. The best moment? Well, there were two. My husband telling me whilst making me a tea and waiting for the test results how VERY VERY much he wanted this to work. The second was his grin (he has a wonderful crooked smile that I fell in love with in a photo I saw of him before we ever met each other). His grin was because we THOUGHT we could see a faint line on the test appearing. Of course, I'd bought another test, (one would never be enough), and although the hospital one showed the faintest of lines, the other was a digital one like the picture above.

PREGNANT.

I feel so numb that I want to cry, and laugh and shout and run around like a child...

My mother cried great huge body-shaking tears of relief and joy.

My best friend snuck out of a meeting to ring me, and we laughed together.

My son - well, he giggled with his step-dad over silly names, and later stood and rang his grandparents doorbell at 8.15am this morning, and when my mother answered he told her he is going to be a big brother.

I feel so lucky.

We are SO lucky.

I have read so many posts and message boards, and I know that many of the couples I saw during the process of IVF passing through hospital corridors with their bags of injections and hands held tight have not been this lucky.

There was a woman on exactly the same timed cycle of me, that I last saw on the day of embryo transfer. I wonder about her this morning. My heart feels like bursting with the luckiness and joy of it all, whilst feeling the ache of those who have not been so lucky.

I met Alex, my lovely husband, on 12th July 2003. He got on a plane and followed his heart to see if this eccentric British woman he found on an Internet dating site could possibly be the soul mate he was searching for. Somehow, I managed to convince him I was! I fell in love with him the moment I saw him coming towards me at the airport terminal. He lifted me up, we kissed, and we have followed our hearts ever since. I gave him a card, on which I wrote the last line as;

"12th July 2003 - and we started a love affair that will never end".

I felt that then and never has it felt more vibrant and real than today.

I have felt such genuine love and support from family and relations, from old friends and new, those I can hug and cry with, and those who have reached me with encouragement and stories of their own through this site. What a journey! and it's only just begun...

I know it's frighteningly early, there are still hurdles to jump (being an old!! mother makes things trickier I am told!!). I don't care about those things today. We'll worry about them if and when they happen. My stars, either one or both of them (now there's a thought!!) have decided to stay with us and become our child(ren).

Today is about five words.

We are having a baby.

Maybe it's seven words...

We are having a baby. Or two...

"Where there is the greatest love, there are always miracles". Willa Cather

24 comments:

Alex Briggs said...

The 2 week waiting period has been like falling from a 3rd story window. Part of you wants it to end, as the whole fall is incredibly scary and your mind tells you the ground below represents safety; the other part of you wants to stay in the air more than anything in this world, as you know the landing might be the end of you. In the end, the whole thing was but a few seconds of your life, but the emotions that it brought to the surface will touch you for the rest of your life. Thankfully, there was a landing pad just below our window this morning! Now, back to the potential names............

Rachel Briggs said...

you lovely, lovely husband, you x

Unknown said...

Heartfelt congratulations and continued success:-)

Rachel Briggs said...

Thank you so much, Madena.

Rachel Briggs said...

Jackal,

Thank you! Very interesting blog, will read more when everthing stops spinning!!

Rachel Briggs said...

p.s. just took my third test.. still pregnant... ok, I will try and make that the last....

thailandchani said...

Congrats.. on both meeting a wonderful guy *and* being pregnant! :)


Peace,


~Chani (Thailand Gal)

Mother said...

CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for sharing this precious news with me. You have made my day.

Deanna Heaslet said...

I am so happy for you...

Girlplustwo said...

woohoo, woohoo, woohoo. and to the daddy-o, too.

sister. this is wonderful. so excited to witness your journey.

Rachel Briggs said...

Wow!

Thanks for all your comments, and your good wishes.

The great bit is I have now discovered some new blogs through your comments and profiles, so thanks for enriching my day!

Haven't done aonther test, to check again.

Yet...

Julie Pippert said...

I am so happy and excited for you!!!!

I know you were worried about them, but those brown spots told me there was a high chance you were. :) Implantation spotting. :)

This is SUCH fabulous news!

Very happy and healthy 9 months!

Rachel Briggs said...

Thanks Julie!

WE are thrilled. Fingers crossed all will be OK. I feel it will!

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I'm so happy for you!!! I pray everything will go fine for you. Please let us know when you find out if there is more than one!!!

Anonymous said...

We've still got big grins on our faces because we are so happy for you all. You're great friends and this great news has touched our lives as well. all the best Jill Rich and family

Jennifer Jones said...

BIG CONGRATULATIONS! :-) Blessings and good wishes to all!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi

Got the email from Alex and just wanted to say congrats to the both of you.

There is never enough good news in the world, it's great to hear it.

All the best

Babs

Anonymous said...

I'm the best friend who sneaked out of the meeting to call Rach( at least 4 or 5 times on thursday ) to see if I could speak to her to find out what the result was . I've just started a new job and was getting some strange looks from my new colleagues as I crept off to find a quiet corner to call Rach... but the news made my day. So congratulations to Rach & Alex - I wish you all well and so pleased that you will be adding to your family . Auntie She will be there and this time I will know how to change nappies ( although don't ask me too often !)

Rachel Briggs said...

plain jane mom - your comment - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! made me lol! Exactly how I feel!! Thanks :-)

Rachel Briggs said...

Thank you to you all, Mamalee, KWiz, Jill and Rich, Jennifer, Babs and SHEILA! (I thought you were too scared to comment on here She?!) Glad you did, and such lovely words from you all, thank you. Overwhelming to log on this morning, and finds all these good wishes - thanks from Alex and I and the star(s!) x

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Nothing like a positive test! I remember it well. Take care.

JChevais said...

What wonderful news!

Congratulations!