Wednesday 2 May 2007

Am I being paranoid or is the wrong person reading this?


A conversation I had yesterday got me wondering.

Who reads our blogs?

I started this as an on-line diary, and primarily a way of keeping in touch with family and friends - espeically if, like us, your family and friends are spread out around half the world! Then - how exciting and a bit scary - you find that someone you've never met reads your blog. More than one "someone". hmmm. Feels pretty funny. Then you get some lovely comments, and support, and friendship, and it feels pretty good.

But what if somewone was reading your blog, your intimate account of your life and your thoughts, and you didn't want them to?? Someone who doesn't like you? Someone who doesn't want to read good things, who isn't in the circle of close people you wish to communicate personal parts of your life with. Like your ex-partner, or ex-friend, someone you don't communicate those type of thoughts and feelings with any more..

Does it matter?

Does it change the way you write? For sure, I think it does! Does it sanitise, dilute your expression knowing that your blog might be read by the "wrong" person, someone who could never come into your home and pick up your diary and flick through it? Yes! Someone you work with, who might read it for the wrong reasons? I truly love my job, but as a Director of a charity, I think I have a responsibility to never write about work. There's a whole big section of my life (and passion) that never makes it to my blog for this reason.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but this concept of modern accessiblity interests me. I'm not the techno-genius my husband is. I'm an old-fashioned wrtie-it-in-a-book-and-put-it-away-safely kinda gal!

I think my take is that, for all the vulnerability it allows, it's still a fantastic way to reach out to your family and friends, and access the world.

What do you think??... (whoever you are)...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm. Good things to think about.

I like having a place to say whatever I want, and about anything. My hubby doesn't even know about my blog; not that I complain about him all the time, but I don't want to have to filter myself in ANY way, and I think I would definitely do that if ANYone knew about it.

That may change, but for now, I want a place JUST for me.

Andy Pashley said...

Rach

I really don't think you should worry about strange little men you've never met reading your blog!!

Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi R--I think blogging is fascinating. To be able to share thoughts with others around the world--amazing.

I don't ever let the notion that there might be some people reading that I may not wish to read, ever concern the content of my posts.

Keep up what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Once you take the words out of your head and put them down, be it on paper, or online, you run the risk of it being read. There's not much I won't write about, and I know a couple of people I don't like read it. I don't let it bother me though.

The Beach Bum said...

One shouldn't worry about who's is reading and commenting on a Blog.

If what you write is important to you - that is all that really counts.

Sharing thoughts with others is what really matters, whether they agree or disagree.

Who reads my Blog? And do I really care who reads it? These are questions that I ask myself daily.

I just keep plugging away and writing, with the hope that I will touch the heart of a kindred spirit.

The Beach Bum

Rachel Briggs said...

How interesting!

In just five comments, views range from "who cares who reads it?" to "this is my secret blog and no one knows me!".

Thanks for commenting to all who did (and two new names which is always great!)


Guess I'll keep on going, then!

Anonymous said...

I used to really worry about it, a family member stumbled on my blog snooping once and used stuff against me that had nothing to do with her or her family... that whole thing though made me realize I am entitled to blog however I want. I don't hide much but real names now... it's my blog and if you don't like it, don't read it. Someone once told me anyway, the truth hurts.

Rachel Briggs said...

girl - good thoughts. You're right, you either have ot fundamentally exert your right to blog, or decide to "dilute" it. Pls let me know oyur blog address, as I can't get a link to yours.

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

Hi, I'm with you about being a little paranoid about who might collect information you may not want someone to have. For instance, a vistor to my site wanted my email address which I typically do not post because it could get into the hands of spammers. Eventually, due to MyBlogLog I found he was legit. It's great to have more than one way to figure out folks' intentions. :-)

Rachel Briggs said...

robyn, I agree. I tihnk, after reflection, I'm somewhere in the middle on this whole issue! To blindly write down your inner-most thoughts and details about your life feels a little too naive - but to sanitise it too much must make you wonder what the heck you're doing it for?!...

Julie Pippert said...

I can say I think I have a healthy amount of caution, do rationally censor myself, and otherwise employ trust.

I think your comment to Robyn is right: we have to find a healthy middle ground.

That's my goal. :)

Rachel Briggs said...

and boy, Julie Pippert, do you ever get it right!! Your blog is fantastic!!