Tuesday 1 May 2007

the longest 48 hours ever!

Well, I am surfacing from the most horrendous few days ever. Yes, I really mean that - EVER!

It started last Thursday. We were just going off to bed when suddenly I started bleeding. After a trip to A & E, I had a scan booked for Friday morning. I was terrified. I didn't think you could bleed that much and still have a healthy baby...

The scan was fine. The baby's heartbeat was galloping away, all measurements fitted with dates, and I skipped out of the examination room with a heart as light as a feather.

Saturday, the elation was still very much present. We went for our nuchal scan to test for Down's Syndrome or other chromosomal abnormalities. We were both very optimistic. Everything so far has gone so far in our favour, that I truly had a sense of complete trust in the results.

The sense of shock that followed was devastating. We were given a risk factor of 1 in 27 that our baby had Down's. Yes, that means 26 chances that it doesn't, but compared to what I expected, maybe 300 to 1, it was a huge shock.

We decided there and then to have a further invasive test called CVS. This is a huge decision - the risk of losing the baby is present, particularly after the bleed I'd had two days before. But with Alex leaving on Monday for a few days at a conference in Cologne, it seemed the only way he could be with me for the test and possible complications afterwards.

Two hours after having the scan and results, I found myself having the invasive test. The terminology was terrifying, not to mention to size of the needle. Jeeez. Then we had to drive into London to deliver the biopsy taken from the baby's placenta for testing.

We waited. 48 hours for the results. It was the longest 48 hours of my entire life.

Then came the call from my husband - the news we'd prayed for - our baby is fine. There is no Down's, no abnormalities, and all is well.

I cannot put into words how I felt, and judging by the emotion in my husband's voice, I know he felt the same way.

Right now, I truly feel like the luckiest woman alive. My son whooped with joy, and hugged me tight, and then kissed my tummy. My stepdaughter "howled" on the phone (in her father's words!).

Now it's time to start truly enjoying this pregnancy, in the sure knowledge that our baby is healthy and well. Nothing much else seems to matter right now....

Well, actually, lots of things do. My son is healthy and happy and enjoying school and life in general. My husband got to see his daughter today after a difficult three weeks apart... and will have dinner with some friends in Cologne tonight. We had wonderful support from our family and friends during this awful time (we didn't tell you all to spare you our worry, but now you know!!). Finally, it's my wedding anniversary on Sunday, and I have some wonderful time ahead with my husband this weekend.

But the news that our baby is fine, and healthy, that takes some beating!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that things are fine.

I understand oh-so-well the stress of that. I have a genetic disorder (have lost 2 babies because of it), and I ended up with an amnio with each baby (3). The needle sucks, the fear and worry suck.

But I also remember the calm when I found out each time that my baby was healthy. And that I could finally enjoy the pregnancy.

I'm so happy for you and your family. You truly deserve this peace and joy.

XOXO

Rachel Briggs said...

Mamalee, thank you.

I feel truly sorry for anyone that has had to go through such anguish. I'm sorry that you have lost two babies, that must be so very hard. I am so glad that you have also had wonderful children, and appreciate your kind thoughts.

The sense of relief is indescribable, isn't it? I now feel so lucky that I can relax and enjoy the rest (I hope) with the knowledge my baby is healthy. And to think I thought IVF was the tricky part (hysterical laughter...)

Deanna Heaslet said...

Once again, I am so happy to hear things are going well for you!

Rachel Briggs said...

thanks so much, Posybunny!

Julie Pippert said...

I'm so glad all is well. What a scare to go through. But again, so glad all is well.