Wednesday 4 April 2007

I'm normal!! (yes, I know what you're thinking but it's official)


I have been hopeless!

I haven't posted for a few days.

I found that a strange thing happened to me.

When I first started this on-line "diary", I found it exciting to be able to put my thoughts down in this way, share IVF dramas with family and friends, connect with others, and generally release all sorts of emotions that were sort-of stuck in me.

That felt fine, until recently, when I started to have some bleeding, and real fears that things were not going well with my pregnancy. Suddenly, I felt very exposed. I felt as if I'd said too much, revealed too much, made myself vulnerable through this blog, and I kind of "ran to ground". There I have lurked, with an odd glance at my favourite blogs, whilst I settled my nerves at sharing this intimate time in my life with my family, friends (and blog friends) across the world.

Two days ago (I am almost scared to write this), the bleeding stopped. The morning (and lunchtime and especially evening sickness) upped it's impact and swamped me like a wave. Suddenly, from my hidey hole, I felt like this baby was settling down and all is well. Instead of feeling vulnerable, I wanted to share this and who better than my blog family and friends!

Strange, how that happened. My friends tell me (Sheila, that's especially you!!) that when I'm in trouble, they always know. I crawl off somewhere like a wounded animal and all falls silent. I guess even in the blogosphere, we have the same traits.

So - the news!! I am now 9 weeks pregnant, all is well, the baby scan at 8 weeks showed a healthy little baby and very obvious heartbeat. I am now discharged from the fertility unit, and into "normal" care. That feels significant!!

My husband (you must read his latest post, although it will hurt) picked his daughter and step-son up yesterday, so I had lots of questions from her over breakfast this morning. It's the first time I've seen her since the test was positive on 1st March. My son told her the baby is the size of a strawberry, has webbed hands and feet and it's tail is disappearing. "tail??" said my stepdaughter, with her nose screwed up. "yeah, it's got a tail - like a tadpole" said my son with the expertise of a seven-year old. Then they laughed their heads off.

"Normal" feels pretty good...

10 comments:

Andy Pashley said...

Congratulations Rachel

Glad to hear you're as "normal" as a Briggs can be ;o)

Andy

Anonymous said...

Hey---that's such nice news! Cool photos. Sometimes revealing a lot can make one feel vulnerable, but that's what blogging is about!

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

congrats!

sometimes it's good to feel normal!

Deanna Heaslet said...

Oh, I am so happy for you! I was worried when you didn't post for so long...

Anonymous said...

Yay Rachel and baby! I'm so happy to hear this news!

Rachel Briggs said...

thanks to all of you for your lovely comments, proof indeed that blogging can only be a good thing!

Have a great Easter all of you xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Rach,
I can understand that vulnerable feeling. You've been so courageous to even open your story up to us. I'm glad to see you and the baby doing well!

Julie Pippert said...

I'm so glad all is well.

And I understand, from one turtle to another.

So...the strawberry theme continues.

Maybe now you have some nursery ideas, LOL.

Just NOT name ideas, please. No more children named after fruit. ;)

Anonymous said...

Anyone who has been in your situation knows exactly what was going on. At least I did. When you've been through it and you know how easily a little bleeding can change your life -- you root for the underdog, er, undermommy. So I am rooting for you and for baby. Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Rachel Briggs said...

such warm and lovely comments - thank you!! x